[WBEL-users] Changing the GUI

Tue, 28 Dec 2004 09:02:01 -0600 (CST)

> I just did my second install.
>
> Learned a lot that I did not realize when I did the first one.
>
> But I made one mistake:  I selected X-Windows as the GUI.  I want to
> change
> this to GNOME.
>
> Is there any easy way to do this, or do I do a complete reinstall?

If you haven't installed any updates, you can probably run the program:

[b]redhat-config-packages[/b]

and then select GNOME.

If you have installed updates, redhat-config-packages may not work.  You
can install GNOME using yum ... the package names that are listed in
redhat-config-packages under the GNOME standard selection are:

gnome-utils
gnome-panel
switchdesk-gnome
desktop-printing
control-center
metacity
libgail-gnome
gnome-session
yelp
nautilus
nautilus-media
gnome-icon-theme
gnome-terminal
gnome-applets
desktop-file-utils

so the command:

yum install gnome-utils gnome-panel switchdesk-gnome desktop-printing
control-center metacity libgail-gnome gnome-session yelp nautilus
nautilus-media gnome-icon-theme gnome-terminal gnome-applets
desktop-file-utils gnome-desktop gnome-media

(all one line)

will install the basic Gnome ... also any extras listed in
redhat-config-packages that you want can be done seperately or as part of
the above install.