[WBEL-users] Comparing what is installed

Luke Scharf lscharf@aoe.vt.edu
Tue, 28 Dec 2004 10:10:25 -0500

On Tue, 2004-12-28 at 09:31, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> Is there someway to compare what services I have on the first install with
> the second (note, that there is no printer yet on either, but there is
> network connectivity)?

First:
/sbin/chkconfig --list

Second:
yum install nmap	# One time
nmap localhost		# Any time you want to see what's running

Be careful with nmap.  Some people get annoyed when you portscan their
machines, especially if the machine is a high-security piece of
infrastructure like a DNS server run by a large organization.

Third:
http://www.nessus.org
This starts with a portscan, and then connects to interrogates, and
attacks every service on your machine to see what's there and what's
vulnerable.  It's a powerful tool -- take the warning about nmap,
amplify it 100x.  But, it's a fantastically wonderful tool for auditing
your own machines, whatever OS they happen to be running.

I hope this helps,
-Luke

--
Luke Scharf, Systems Administrator
Virginia Tech Aerospace and Ocean Engineering