Problems in Rivercity - Re: [WBEL-users] Changing the GUI

Wed, 29 Dec 2004 04:47:19 -0600

On Tue, 2004-12-28 at 10:42 -0500, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> At 10:17 AM 12/28/2004, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> >At 10:02 AM 12/28/2004, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> >

> >>If you haven't installed any updates, you can probably run the program:
> >>
> >>[b]redhat-config-packages[/b]
> >>
> >>and then select GNOME.
> >
> >It is working!  After I selected GNOME, it asked for disk 2....
> >
> >Will report back in a bit.
>
> The install aborted with a CD read error.  My CDs are for WBL 3.0.  This
> was CD #2.
>
> I rebooted.  I cannot log into my userid, I get an error indicating
> something like:
>
> .../home/.Xclients line 8 - Xclients-default: No such file or directory....
>
> I can log in as root, and I get the Gnome GUI.  Of course, I don't know if
> everything got installed...
>
> 1) how to recover the install of Gnome?  (can I do this with yum?  and if
> so, this is still a base install, will it select the right server?) (do I
> build new CDs and start the install all over?)
>
> 2) If I can recover the install of Gnome, how do I fix my userid?

First, set up yum to point to a close mirror by
editing /etc/yum.conf ... I have examples here that should still work.
If necessary, change the order to get a mirror that is close to you.

After yum.conf is updated, you should be able to run the command I gave
you earlier.

yum install {long list of package names}

BTW, redhat-config-packages should have worked on a system with no
updates ... did you do a media check of CD-2 before the install?