[WBEL-users] Iomega Buz Utra SCSI card: need 'advansys' module

Paul M. Bucalo linuxuser@frontiernet.net
Wed, 29 Dec 2004 12:14:47 -0500

If anyone here has successfully configured an Iomega Buz (Jaz Jet)
Multimedia Processor card to provide Ultra SCSI in WBEL (or any version
of Linux), please contact me here or off-list how you did it. I
inherited such a card and internal Jaz drive and would like to use it on
my WBEL box (just for the Jaz drive).

For anyone else that can help...

When I try to follow the directions provided by Iomega for installing
the card under Linux, I get a 'module not found' error:

#: insmod advansys

The card is using an Advansys ASC3050B PCI 'Narrow' Ultra SCSI
controller chipset. What I could glean off the Web is that the SCSI
interface works as a separate device entity and can be utilized by
providing the 'advansys' module at boot time. I found one reference that
illustrated how to recompile the kernel in FC 1 for support, or how to
use the unsupported kernel for the required modules:

http://www.city-fan.org/ftp/contrib/drivers/advansys/

Will I have to recompile the kernel for Advansys support under WBEL? <If
I have to recompile the kernel on this slow machine, I won't bother.>

Can I run an 'unsupported' kernel, similar to what the instructions
recommend under FC 1, and if so, can this kernel be found on WBEL's
site/mirrors?

Any guidance greatly appreciated!

Paul