[WBEL-users] ftp.opensourcemirrors.org

Kirby C. Bohling kbohling@birddog.com
Wed, 29 Dec 2004 13:46:28 -0600

On Wed, Dec 29, 2004 at 11:13:09AM -0800, Ben Mohilef wrote:
> The site opensourcemirrors.org has shown up in up2date for a long
> time. However, it seems to never have been connected. (I tried to
> reach it from several addresses to make sure we somehow were
> not on some strange blocklist and it was always dead). Has anyone
> else been able to raise that site?
>
> It was supposed to be hosted by hostway in Austin, Texas. Does
> anyone know anything about this? When ftp.opensourcemirrors.org
> is selected on rotation up2date will hang. If the site is truly dead,
> can it be removed from the mirror sites selected by up2date?

I'm fairly sure that OpenSourceMirrors.org didn't even have working
DNS at one point recently.  There is another Phantom Hosting that
was last updated in May 2004 (right after the U2 update).   I
haven't seen either of those two mirrors work in 4-6 months.

Those are the two least useful mirrors.  Most the rest aren't so bad
in my experience (some of them have a day more lag then others, but
for the most part, within 48 hours of a package being released, it's
on all of the mirrors except for the two listed above).

	Kirby