[WBEL-users] New install after up2date no keyboard

Paul subsolar@subsolar.org
Thu, 30 Dec 2004 23:52:02 -0600

On Thu, 2004-12-30 at 23:52 -0500, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
<SNIP>
> From:  http://www.whiteboxlinux.org/faq.html
>
> How is WhiteBox Linux updated?
>
> Obviously RHN isn't available as an option, so yum has been brought in
> from Fedora along with a version of up2date that can work with yum. So
> pick Up2Date Network from the menu and it basically "just works".
>
> There are some issues though. There is still an initial panel which
> refers to rhn, but if you just click past that it doesn't actually try
> connecting to rhn. Another is that the current version of up2date
> doesn't support multiple repositories via yum and the default choice
> is the primary whiteboxlinux.org server. Since this machine has
> limited bandwidth you really should switch to a mirror.
> Edit /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources and comment out the two entries
> listing www.whiteboxlinux.org and uncomment the ones at ncsu. Once you
> run up2date the first time it will retrieve an update to itself, after
> which you can either keep the ncsu entry or pick a different mirror.
>
> RHN Applet is included on the CD but is not installed because it
> doesn't work in this release. It may get fixed up by the first respin.
> No promises.

That is a bit out of date ... there was an update to up2date that allows
it to pull a list of mirrors from the master and then it picks one from
the list each time.

> I have Respin 1, and sources looked different than described above, so
> I just ignored the instructions to modify sources and I saw a change
> to the ncsa site go by.

I have three at work and I mirror that site on one of them and then use
that system for all the updates.

As far as the keyboard issue goes, I'm not sure what to suggest.

Are you running a GUI login?

Regards,
Paul