[WBEL-users] Redhat Legalese

Aaron Smith asmith@nexcerpt.com
Thu, 12 Feb 2004 09:12:16 -0500

--=-l7LVj1WA4Ykd8hN0swTM

	Can someone point me to the Redhat Legalese that allows things like
Whitebox to exist?  I'm sure reading it will make my eyes cross but I
thought I'd give it a shot.  I'm not 100% clear on a few things:

1.) It's apparently fine to grab the SRPMS, strip them of redhat logos
and references, and then rebuild them all into an ISO distribution like
Whitebox.  However, do you have to make all the changes ONLY if you plan
on redistributing it?  i.e., if I just want to run Enterprise Linux on
my servers here at my company, can I just grab the SRPMS, build them,
and then install them without stripping out the various logos?

2.) Taking that a step further, if I have Whitebox on my servers, and
(heaven forbid) Whitebox itself disappears and the mirror sites are shut
down, can I grab future updates from the Redhat SRPM mirrors, build them
and then install them without stripping the logos?  I mean this from a
legal standpoint.  Yes, I know that from a TECHNICAL standpoint they
will work perfectly fine as they're the same thing.

3.) Everyone I hear that has defended Redhat's move to Enterprise
Linux/Fedora has said that when you pay Redhat, you aren't paying them
for the software, you're paying them for the support.  If that's true,
does that mean I can pay Redhat for a year of "support", get a bonafide
copy of Redhat Enterprise Linux to install on my server, and then after
that first support year is up, just download SRPMS for my server without
paying redhat any more money?

4.) Taking number 3 a step further, couldn't I purchase a support
"contract" for one year for one server, get the CD's, and then install
the software on 15 servers?  I'd use rhn/up2date for the ONE server,
then either propagate those RPM's to the other ones, or simple download
SRPM's to build and install for the others?

--=20
Aaron Smith             		vox: 269.226.9550 ext.26
Network Director        		fax: 269.349.9076=09
Nexcerpt, Inc.          		http://www.nexcerpt.com
=09
	...Nexcerpt... Extend Your Expertise

--=-l7LVj1WA4Ykd8hN0swTM