[WBEL-users] Redhat Legalese

Lynn, Michael (IDS DM&DS) michael_lynn@ml.com
Thu, 12 Feb 2004 09:50:01 -0500

> If that's true,
> does that mean I can pay Redhat for a year of "support", get
> a bonafide
> copy of Redhat Enterprise Linux to install on my server, and
> then after
> that first support year is up, just download SRPMS for my
> server without
> paying redhat any more money?

Yes - I believe you can terminate your maintenance contract and do what you want to the server as long as you don't take the binary images and install them on another server.

The agreement you sign with RedHat is for maintenance and access to updated binary packages through RHN for the specific purpose of updating the server where you installed the original package.

> I'd use rhn/up2date for the ONE server,
> then either propagate those RPM's to the other ones, or
> simple download
> SRPM's to build and install for the others?

You CANNNOT do this - the terms of the agreement state that you can only install the updates obtained through RHN on the server where the agreement was executed (installed).

If you install SRPMS NOT obtained through RHN for a server under maintenance you will invalidate your agreement and RedHat has the right to terminate your RHN account.