[WBEL-users] Redhat Legalese

Joe Klemmer klemmerj@webtrek.com
Thu, 12 Feb 2004 12:05:55 -0500

On Thu, 2004-02-12 at 09:50, Pete Stevens wrote:

> > 1.) It's apparently fine to grab the SRPMS, strip them of redhat logos
> > and references, and then rebuild them all into an ISO distribution like
> > Whitebox.  However, do you have to make all the changes ONLY if you plan
> > on redistributing it?  i.e., if I just want to run Enterprise Linux on
> > my servers here at my company, can I just grab the SRPMS, build them,
> > and then install them without stripping out the various logos?
>
> I believe this is fine. However RedHat have no obligation to make the SRPMS
> available to you.

	According to the GPL they do.  They must make available all the source
for anything licensed under the GPL.  They do not, however, have to make
it available for free.  They have every right to charge serious $$$$ for
the srpms.  Thankfully they are making them available for free.

--
Akebono vs Godzilla!  Coming soon to a theater near you.