[WBEL-users] Redhat Legalese

Joe Klemmer klemmerj@webtrek.com
Fri, 13 Feb 2004 21:39:55 -0500

On Thu, 2004-02-12 at 12:12, Hedemark, Magnus wrote:

> > The open source/free software world would be much
> > poorer today without their great work.
>
> Oh, absolutely.  Don't take my comment out of proportion.  They
> contribute quite a bit to the community, but the vast majority of the
> code in any RHL distribution was not written by Red Hat employees, so
> my point still stands.  It's not *wrong* for them to make money off of
> the hard work of others.  I'm not suggesting that.  I was merely
> supporting the notion that the RHEL license fee has very little to do
> with paying for software and everything to do with paying for services
> rendered.

	Definitely.  They are putting their eggs in the support basket and
judging by the reception they have gotten from the corporate world they
did a good job of it.

	For myself, I was not real happy they dropped the boxed set.  Fedora is
good but it's a bit to fluid for me to run on my personal server.  As a
desktop/workstation it serves me very will.

	If I can get the HW problem fixed on the server I'm going to run WBL
(or one of the other RHEL clones, depending on which best fits my
needs).  I have no problem with RH making money but $300+ is a tad high
when it's coming out of my own pocket.

--
Akebono vs Godzilla!  Coming soon to a theater near you.