[WBEL-users] yum source and conf

Phil Schaffner Philip.R.Schaffner@NASA.gov
Tue, 17 Feb 2004 14:36:20 -0500

On Sat, 2004-02-14 at 16:59, Ryan Finnie wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Feb 2004, Sharon Kimble wrote:
>
>snip<
>
> Of course all of this is irrelevant, since the original question was
> originally answered (can't upgrade between RHL and RHEL/WBEL).  Just my 2
> cents...

Actually, you can.  Thanks to the following help on the fedora-users
list from whitebox-users frequent-flier William Hooper, I managed to
upgrade a RH73 system to WBEL, although not without a lot of obsolete
RPM cruft left over.  Hard to argue against the value of a clean
install, but there's a lot of grunt-work involved in recreating user
records, configuring services such as NFS and Samba, etc. vs cleaning
out obsolete RPMS to get a stable system.

On Thu, 2004-01-15 at 15:25, William Hooper wrote:
> Phil Schaffner said:
> > (OT:  Have tried some of these approaches on a VMware testbed in an
> > attempt to upgrade a RH-7.3 system to WBEL 3 - since Anaconda refuses to
> > do it - without success.  Haven't found a good HOWTO for this with
> > Google, nor on either this list or the WBEL lists.  Still looking.
> > Probably time for a nice clean install and house-cleaning anyway, but
> > all the old settings take a lot of time to recreate.)
>
> Have you tried the "linux upgradeany" boot switch with anaconda?
>
> (Sorry about the long link, Tinyurl.com seems to be having issues.)
> https://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-3-Manual/x8664-multi-install-guide/ap-bootopts.html
>
> --
> William Hooper

Have found the following script to be useful in RPM cleanups:

#!/bin/bash
# List_RPMS_by_Install_Time
rpm -qa --qf "%{INSTALLTIME} %{NAME} %{VERSION} %{RELEASE}\n" | sort -r >RPMS_by_Install_Time

Look for everything in the output file below "basesystem" and consider
removing or building upgrades from SRPMS as necessary.

Phil