[WBEL-users] New to WhiteboxLinux

Magnus Hedemark magnus@yonderway.com
Tue, 24 Feb 2004 09:03:39 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004, Louis wrote:

> 1.                      Can the Red Hat Fixes be applied to this release?

You mean binaries?  Technically, yes.  Legally, no.

> 2.                      Can this release support a Multi-CPU configuration?

Yes.

> 3.                      Can you or is anybody using Oracle, MySQL, or
> ProgreSQL with this release?

I have used PostgreSQL with it (or, more precisely, RHDB - the Red Hat
fork of PostgreSQL).

> 4.                      What differences exist between this release and Red
> Hat Enterprise 3?

Technically: Mostly artwork.  up2date is more like Fedora's version than
RHEL's.  But otherwise you wouldn't be able  to tell the difference.

You don't have guaranteed support with any of the clones.  If you must
have reliable support, you need RHEL.  If you're comfortable
self-supporting, then check out WBEL and any of the other RHEL clones.

> 5.                      Can applications develop under WhiteBoxLinux be
> ported to Standard RH Enterprise Linux?

Yes.  They don't even need to be ported.  They can just be installed via
RPM like any other application.

> 6.                      If the answer to question 1 above is no then how do
> I keep update with fixes and enhancements and how to I contribute to
> project.

You need to "man yum" to learn how to apply updates to your system.

If you want to contribute, this is probably not the right distribution.
The maintainer of WBEL seems to be happy to have anyone use the
distribution but many people can tell you that it's mostly a one-way
exchange.  If you want to contribute to an RHEL clone, check out either
http://www.taolinux.org or http://www.centos.org.  Those are the other two
clones that I am aware of, but have more of an open door policy on
community contributions than WBEL.