[WBEL-users] ADSL Monitoring Program?

Cristian D. GAL wbel@galez.net
Tue, 24 Feb 2004 16:56:09 +0000 (GMT)

> I'm having such problems with my providor [i.e. the connection suddenly
> dying, sometimes in the middle of something!] that I'm now looking for
> a program/script that can run in the background monitoring the
> connection and emailing me if/when it goes down so that I can then
> record the time of the outage, and then perhaps getting some recompense
> from my providor. But, I don't know what to google for or the name of
> any program. Can anyone help/advise please?

I don't know if you if you'll find exactly what you want but you could
write one that sounds like this:

[ $(ping -s0 -c 3 -w 5 $(/sbin/ip route|grep default|cut -f3 -d' ')| \
grep '100% loss'|wc -l) -ge 1 ] && mail me@domain.com -s $(date)

and if you're looking for linux apps don;t search google, go to a good
source like: freshmeat.net or sf.net

Cris

--
"The war won't be over until the last spammer's head is stuck onto a spear