[WBEL-users] Whitebox + Oracle 10g works

Michael Squires MSQUIRES@iga.state.in.us
Sat, 28 Feb 2004 15:58:21 -0500

\
> Subject: [WBEL-users] Whitebox + Oracle 10g works
>
> Following the instructions from Werner Puschitz' web page
>
> http://www.puschitz.com/InstallingOracle10g.shtml

A couple of notes, from someone with some experience with UN*X but very
little with Oracle administration:

1.  The Oracle notes ("Quick Install") were a little vague in some
areas; some of these are probably obvious to experienced Oracle users
but weren't to me.

The system you're installing onto has to have a fully qualified domain
name in /etc/hosts and I think "nslookup <your FQDN>" has to resolve to
the IP of that system.

The SYS, etc., passwords can't begin with a number.

Puschitz's instructions for setting shell limits are slightly different
from Oracle's and are probably better.  The limits are only reset for
user "oracle" and are set below the max so the system can continue to
function when the user hits a hard limit.

WB LINUX doesn't explicitly show the "SEM*" kernel settings using sysctl
but Puschitz's notes show how to set them, and the installer finds them.

My WB install was missing required the Berkeley db RPM off the WH
install CD (don't remember the exact name, but the RPM on the WH CD has
the same name that the Oracle Quick Install docs ask for).  All other
required RPMs were correct.

2.  The Web-based interfaces worked after re-installation, but after a
reboot they weren't working.  Starting/stopping the DBMS worked after
rebooting.  I'm assuming that either some configuration issue (I have
httpd turned off) or some resource constraint stopped the Web
interfaces.  There's nothing in /var/log/messages but I haven't looked
in the Oracle logs.

After init.cssd started after installation the system was maxed out on
physical memory (has only 512MB).  During installation about 1/2 of
physical memory was in use; after reboot the system again had about 1/2
of physical memory left.  I'm assuming part of the unused memory was
used by the non-running Web interface daemons, but that's a guess.

Mike Squires, who remembers sharing the Tandy XENIX/68K newsgroup with
Bill Davidsen (sir-alan.UUCP is now siralan.org)