[WBEL-users] OT: Backups

Tony tony@instaview.com
Mon, 5 Jan 2004 14:44:17 -0500

For a true enterprse backup you really need removable media, so that you
can rotate properly, and take it off site.

While something like amanda may be good for short term backups, it still
doenst replace tape archives.

Sure you can run Tar on a cron job with the appropiate settings and timings,
but that doesnt help a low-tech end user recover a spreadsheet from last
months backup on such and such a day....

They need something really simple.. just point and click.. it tells them which
tape to go find.. and lets them choose where to stick the file....

Worst case ill have to write something.... I dont want to spend all my time
dialed in to clients sites, doing restores.... I know from exprence as a
captive IT-guy, i spent a lot of time ' can you get me last weeks version'
( or one time a complete system restore, when a RAID controller bit the dust
and took the ENTIRE array with it... grrr )

On Monday 05 January 2004 01:00 pm, whitebox-users-request@beau.org wrote:
> Encapsulated message
>

> No Subject

> Content-Type=message/rfc822
> Content-Description=embedded message
> Subject: Re: [WBEL-users] OT: Backups
> From: "Daniel T. Gynn" <dan.gynn@essensys.com>
> To: whitebox-users@beau.org
> Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2004 06:56:03 -0500
>

> --=-r6TEfF4/NOvPzJkU3xD+
>

> It doesn't have a GUI, but I use AMANDA.  One nice thing is you can set
> it up to backup to disk, so you can configure it to work with external
> hard drives.  I find it easier to setup than writing scripts to tar or
> copy files and it is simplier and more reliable than some other backups
> out there.  For instance, we used to use TapeWare, which had a decent
> GUI for Linux, but found it very unreliable.
>
> On Sun, 2004-01-04 at 18:44, John Morris wrote:
> > On Wed, 31 Dec 2003, Tony wrote:
> >=20
> >
> > > Sorry for being slightly OT, but I was wondering
> > > what you all will be using as an enterprise backup
> > > solution with WB?
> >
> >=20
> > That IS a big question these days, considering the size of typical
> > hard=20 drives compared to tapes.  Don't know what others are doing but
> > I'm makin=

*snip*