[WBEL-users] ATA Raid Controllers

J. Abelardo Gutierrez jabelardo@cantv.net
Tue, 13 Jan 2004 09:10:46 -0400

William Hooper wrote:

>Milan Kerslager said:
>

>>Promise is very cheap. 3Ware is a little bit expensive. But yes - if you
>>use WhiteBox as true Enterprise solution... :-)
>>

>At least in some cases Promise has only provided drivers (they aren't in
>the kernel) for the one kernel that ships with a Red Hat version.  If you
>try to upgrade to an errata kernel you are out of luck.  I would do a lot
>of research before thinking about buying a Promise Raid solution.
>
>Personally, I'm just saying the heck with it and using the kernel's
>software raid (mirroring in my case).

We use promise without any problems here in my work, is true that you
have to recompile their partial dirvers (something like nvidia drivers,
part binary part source).  I also had to make a custom driver's floppy
for the instalation.  but has been using in a numbre of our servers
first with RHL9.0 and now with WBEL3.0 without any problem at all.  Also
there is a "native" dirver in 2.6.x so in the future it will be easier.

--
Lic. J. Abelardo Gutierrez
Linux Counter # 80026