[WBEL-users] rhn_register and up2date

Aaron Smith asmith@nexcerpt.com
Thu, 15 Jan 2004 14:45:04 -0500

--=-bCj77I4OLl7AKFh4qGvr

I downloaded copies of WBEL 3.0-fixed iso's yesterday and did a fresh
install this morning.  Everything looked good and the it runs quite
well.  However, I'm having trouble using rhn_register and up2date.  Is
this the preferred way of getting updates?  I edited the sources file in
sysconfig to point to a mirror site, and when I run rhn_register (in X)
I first get a slew of errors that it can't find an image file:

(rhn_register:2001): libglade-WARNING **: Error loading image: Failed to
open file '/usr/share/firstboot/pixmaps//shadowman-round-48.png': No
such file or directory

Not a big deal as you can toss any old png file in there and rename it
to that to shut it up, but I thought I'd mention it in case it's a Logo
issue. =20
BUT, that's not the big problem.  After I enter in new account
information and click through the identification information (Name,
Rank, Serial number, etc) I get an error saying that it was unable to
determine what version of Linux i'm running and suggested that I run=20
rpm --rebuilddb.  Here's an actual error message from running
rhn_register in text mode:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/sbin/rhn_register", line 1188, in ?
    sys.exit(main() or 0)
  File "/usr/sbin/rhn_register", line 710, in main
    tui.main()
  File "tui.py", line 1097, in main
  File "tui.py", line 1041, in run
  File "tui.py", line 645, in __init__
  File "/usr/share/rhn/up2date_client/up2dateUtils.py", line 228, in
getVersion
    release, version =3D getOSVersionAndRelease()
  File "/usr/share/rhn/up2date_client/up2dateUtils.py", line 221, in
getOSVersionAndRelease
    raise up2dateErrors.RpmError(
up2date_client.up2dateErrors.RpmError: RPM error.  The message was:
Could not determine what version of Linux you are running.
If you get this error, try running

                rpm --rebuilddb

Another tidbit is that the first time I ran rhn_register, it gave me an
option to pick a Redhat Server, with the only server listed being:
http://xmlrpc.rhn.redhat.com/XMLRPC

There seemed to be a lot of redhat references in this, but I figured it
was, after all, the "RedHat" network....:)

--=20
--
Aaron Smith             		vox: 269.226.9550 ext.26
Network Director        		fax: 269.349.9076=09

--=-bCj77I4OLl7AKFh4qGvr

--=-bCj77I4OLl7AKFh4qGvr--