[WBEL-users] Re: [WBEL-devel] Rebuilt Progeny RPMs for RHL 7.2/7.3/8.0

Phil Schaffner Philip.R.Schaffner@NASA.gov
Tue, 20 Jan 2004 10:51:19 -0500

On Sat, 2004-01-17 at 21:18, William Hooper wrote:
> Greg Brown said:
> >>

> >> BTW, yum rocks.  I don't know why I haven't played with it until
> >> recently.
> >>
> >> RF
> >>

> > me too.  Yum has changed my life for the better.  Really.
> >
> > Next up is to figure out how to set up my own yum server so I don't
> > keep pummeling the beau.org servers.
>
> rsync is your friend.
>
> Otherwise (or if you want to add your own RPMs) yum-arch is pretty easy to
> use.
>
> http://www.phy.duke.edu/~rgb/General/yum_HOWTO/yum_HOWTO/yum_HOWTO-9.html

Probably ought to be a new thread as the Subject: doesn't fit - should
be something like "Creating a local yum repository", but anyway...

This approach works for me.  The rsync command is really a one-liner,
EOLs escaped to fit here. I put it in crontab to run in the wee hours.

	rsync --archive --verbose --delete \
 		ftp.esat.net::mirrors/whiteboxlinux.org/3.0/en/ \
 		/var/www/html/WhiteBox/3.0/en/

Have also used lftp to do the mirroring when rsync access is not
available.

May not be strictly necessary, but I also do:
	cd /var/www/html/WhiteBox/3.0/en/updates
	yum-arch -s .

Run Apache httpd to give local machines http access (blocked from
outside by site firewall in my case), and use a yum.conf like this:

[main]
cachedir=/var/cache/yum
debuglevel=2
logfile=/var/log/yum.log
pkgpolicy=newest
distroverpkg=whitebox-release
tolerant=1
exactarch=1

[base]
name=White Box Enterprise Linux $releasever - $basearch - Base
baseurl=http://myserver.mydomain/WhiteBox/$releasever/en/os/$basearch

[updates-released]
name=White Box Enterprise Linux $releasever - $basearch - Released
Updates
baseurl=http://myserver.mydomain/WhiteBox/$releasever/en/updates/

[dag]
name=Dag Wieers RHEL3 Repository