[WBEL-users] SendMail Gateway

Karanbir Singh mail-lists@karan.org
Thu, 01 Jul 2004 17:16:13 +0100

Hi Simone,

I handle such situations via DNS. The issue comes up due to the redirect
headers from the internal web severs ( that run the OWA ) reporting
internal URL's which are passed through the proxy to the outside world,
and these URL's are not accessible from the outside world.

Here is what I would do to resolve this situation :

Configure my internatl servers to work as mail-1.mydomain.com,
mail-2.mydomain.com and mail-3.mydomain.com. Then setup on my internal
DNS :
mail-1.mydomain.com pointing to 192.168.0.1
mail-2.mydomain.com pointing to 192.168.0.2
mail-3.mydomain.com pointing to 192.168.0.3

 From the External ( real internet dns ) I would have mail-1 setup to
point to the world / global IP and have mail-2 and mail-3 as CNames to
the mail-1 address.

That way irrespective of which URL / Server is used : the Internet users
will only connect to your proxy machine ( which only needs 1 Global IP
to work with ), while the proxy machine will know which machine to
connect to on the inside based on the hostname.

You will however, need to setup your OWA / Exchange / Internal Webserver
that hosts the web interface to work with and report on a real domain (
like http://mail-1.mydomain.com ) rather than internal machine name :(
like http://mail/ )

This does work, I have more than 15 installations where this works well,
for internal and external users. This also ensures that people on the
inside and outside the network use the same URL to get to their Email.

There are atleast 3 other ways to achieve the same result, but this is
what I work with - its very reliable and has an extremely low failure rate.

Hope this helps!

- K

--
Karanbir Singh