[WBEL-users] Red Hat GFS

Ed ekg@tricity.wsu.edu
Mon, 05 Jul 2004 14:25:35 -0700

Erik Williamson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I saw in slashdot yesterday that Red Hat is releasing GFS
> (http://www.redhat.com/software/rha/gfs/) to the masses.  I was about to
> roll out 3 WBEL File servers here, but in light of this, I'm wondering
> of the chances that this would work with Whitebox - has anyone tried, or
> is anyone planning on trying?

White box uses the RHEL kernel.  It is unlikely that RH will backport
GFS to their stable 3.0.  If you want to compile your own kernel, it
might work but the WBEL kernel is heavily patched and some of the
patches are needed by userland (there would be more work involved than
just patching a "vanilla" 2.4 or 2.6 kernel).  So maybe FC2 would be a
better option if you want to play with GFS.