[WBEL-users] Re: drvnet.img

Kirby Bohling kbohling@birddog.com
Mon, 12 Jul 2004 11:23:59 -0500

On Mon, Jul 12, 2004 at 08:56:20AM -0700, Keith Morse wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Jul 2004, Kirby Bohling wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Jul 10, 2004 at 09:55:00PM -0700, Keith Morse wrote:
> > >
> > > Hopefully someone has seen this issue before.  I need to use boot floppies
> > > to install whitebox on a pc that has no cd drive.  It's a funky dell
> > > desktop that requires a specific drive.  I'm using winimage to write the
> > > image to a floppy.  The bootdisk.img works without problem.  With
> > > drvnet.img winimage fails to read the image.  I've tried three of the
> > > mirrors so far, all with the same behaviour "error reading image".
> > >

> > 	Can you get the thing to net-boot?  If you can, you can do a
> > network install with kickstart.  With kickstart, I believe you can
> > sepecify a URL for the driver images if you need a really odd one.
> > However, I believe the network install has all of the drivers you'll
> > need on the kernel images (unlike the floppies due to limited
> > space).
>
> Chicken and egg thing.  No driver for the nic so I can't go to the network
> for the nic driver.

Unless you're building the driver special, the network boot image
isn't limited to what can fit on a floppy, so it has pretty much all
of the NIC's on the image.  Just like the CD has a ton more drivers
then the network floppy does.  I'm not suggesting you use the floppy
to boot ther kernel, I'm suggesting you get the kernel via
BOOTP/DHCP and a PXE environment.  If you have a second whitebox
machine anywhere near by it's easy to do.

	Kirby