[WBEL-users] RedHat 9 migration?

Jamey Fletcher jamey@beau.org
Wed, 14 Jul 2004 20:15:33 -0500

Rex Dieter wrote:
> Kurt Raschke wrote:
>
>  > So, I have been evaluating the RHEL rebuild projects.  However, I'm
>  > not sure if any of the three projects could be used to upgrade from
>  > RedHat 9, as I would really rather not reinstall these servers.
>  > Additionally, assuming there even is a viable upgrade path, then which
>  > RHEL rebuild project should I go with?

> FYI, none of RHEL or clones officially support upgrading From RedHat
> Linux.  Some folks have been able to kludge it with apt/yum, but it's
> not recommended or for the feint of heart.

Actually, it's been done several times here at the Library - no, it's
not "officially" supported, but there's an option to do it - but I don't
remember what it is.  The official no-upgrade from RH9 policy of RedHat
is just them covering themselves against expensive support calls.  A
large number of the RedHat packages for RHEL3 are in fact identical to
the packages for RH9.