[WBEL-users] Kernel 2.6.x

Adrian Snyman adrians@turnkey.web.za
Thu, 15 Jul 2004 14:25:31 +0200

We are currently running kernel 2.4.21-15.ELsmp

The system after our upgrade from Redhat 7.3 has been much better in
that our load average has reduced by around 10-12% ..

However, we currently use IBM Universe 10.1.1, and we are picking up a problem
on printing. It seems as though the universe spooler is pausing for about
10-15 seconds before releasing, and lpd takes t from there without problems.
Now this pause becomes significant when we are processing about 10000
documents a day.
This was not happening on RH 7.3, and despite tuning additional parameters
for the Whitebox kernel (listed below)

kernel.msgmnb =16384
kernel.msgmni =1024
kernel.msgmax =65536
kernel.sem =250 256000 32 1024

there is STILL a lag. I now want to see if kernel 2.6 does not maybe offer
something that 2.4 is not doing. So where do I start ?
IE: I need the latest 2.6 kernel for RHEL/clones .. but it's not on the CD.
Where could I possibly download this from ??
Are there additional things that need to be added ?
Any Gotchas I should be aware of ?
Thanks,

--
Regards,
Adrian Snyman

/* Beat Me, Whip Me, Make me use Windows !! */