[WBEL-users] Kernel 2.6.x

Phil Schaffner Philip.R.Schaffner@NASA.gov
Thu, 15 Jul 2004 13:17:57 -0400

On Thu, 2004-07-15 at 14:25 +0200, Adrian Snyman wrote:
> there is STILL a lag. I now want to see if kernel 2.6 does not maybe
> offer
> something that 2.4 is not doing.

Red Hat has backported many features of 2.6 to 2.4 but there are still
some reported features of 2.6 that people might want.  Search the list
archives.

> So where do I start ?
> IE: I need the latest 2.6 kernel for RHEL/clones .. but it's not on
> the CD.
> Where could I possibly download this from ??
> Are there additional things that need to be added ?
> Any Gotchas I should be aware of ?

Again, lots of stuff on 2.6 in the list archives, for instance...
On Sun, 2004-05-16 at 23:48 +0200, Milan Ker¹lįger wrote:
> On Sat, May 15, 2004 at 09:11:21PM -0600, Mike Hillyer wrote:
> > Hi All;
> >
> > Is it possible to upgrade to kernel 2.6 via yum?
>
> Try this section to your /etc/yum.conf
>
> [kernel-2.6]
> name=Kenel 2.6 from Arjan van de Ven
> baseurl=http://people.redhat.com/arjanv/2.6/

Will need to also upgrade modutils, glibc, and possibly gcc and other
packages if you want to rebuild the 2.6 kernel, and will loose backwards
compatibility.  May need to use "rpm  --force ..." due to version
conflicts.   Rather than mess up your nice stable WBEL system with 2.6
upgrades, might want to consider going to FC2.

Phil