[WBEL-users] Software raid and User Mode Linux CD burning on WBEL

Alex Georgiev ageorgiev@eurorisksystems.com
Fri, 16 Jul 2004 17:37:27 +0300

Jan-Albert van Ree wrote:

> On Friday 16 July 2004 15:37, Alex Georgiev wrote:
>

> Software RAID0 means higher load, and it's a risk to your data... I'd
> seriously consider looking for better alternatives (since you mention load
> is low, I can't imagine you need the performance of RAID0?) Better two
> partitions with both 200GB than one large 400GB with a much higher chance
> of failure....

Ohhhh sorry, forgive my ignorance I meant I want to use
disk mirroring, which is RAID1 I believe!!!!!

> As for webCDcreator, I haven't seen any kernel panics or other issues with
> it yet, I'd say set up a testbox with WBEL first to see how it behaves, I
> installed it two months ago and it's seen extensive use without any issues
> so far.

Currently we do cd burning on a debian-stable box with 2.4.20-wolk4.14s.p2
kernel (WOLK patchset), using SCSI emulation with module ide_scsi.
Sometimes this module makes the kernel panic, It depends on the CDROMs
one uses. There is one particular brand which always panics the kernel.
That is why I want to ensure my ass and move the whole process to UML