[WBEL-users] WBEL (respin) with 875P Mobo

Benjamin J. Weiss Benjamin J. Weiss" <benjamin@birdvet.org
Mon, 19 Jul 2004 21:30:56 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004, Benjamin J. Weiss wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Jul 2004, Raymond Lillard wrote:
>

> > I would like to install WBEL (respin) on an
> > ASUS P4C800-E mobo.  This system is to have
> > the OS installed on the Primary Master.  I
> > intend to use the two SATA-150 drives as a
> > software RAID1 for the data shares of a Samba
> > PDC.
> >
> > I have booted up on the the install disk and
> > the SATA drives are not recognized but I'm hoping
> > that if I install the OS I will find the SATA
> > driver support available when I rebuild the kernel.
> >
> > Is this correct.  I have an FreeBSD installation
> > on the system at the moment, but am having some
> > Samba issues (which I won't go into here).  I
> > am seriously considering moving to WBEL, but
> > don't want to blow-out my existing and partially
> > working installation, if WBEL doesn't support
> > access to the SATA drives.
>
> Ray,
>
> I've got a different mobo that I dual-booted with Win2K and FC1.  I was
> using both a PATA and a SATA drive, and had to change the bios to
> "compatibility mode" or something similar, in order to get it to work.
>
> FC1 was on the primary partition, IIRC.
>
> I'd be happy to do a test install tonight to see how it works, and to give
> you the lowdown on the chipset I'm using.  It's an MSI mobo, I believe.

Sorry to reply to my own post, but apparently I've deleted the previous
post by Raymond Lillard.

I just finished a WBEL 3.0 Respin 1 install at home, and it went
flawlessly.  However, while I have a PATA and a SATA drive, I'm using an
MSI Neo2 motherboard that's using the 865PE chipset, not the 875.
However, to get it to work correctly and see both drives, I had to set the
BIOS to legacy mode.  If I didn't, neither linux nor win2k would see both
drives.  Depeinding upon my other BIOS settings, I'd see either the PATA
or the SATA drive, but not both.

I hope this helps,

Ben