[WBEL-users] WBEL (respin) with 875P Mobo

Raymond Lillard rlillard@sonic.net
Mon, 19 Jul 2004 22:29:04 -0700

Pierre-Francois Honore wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-07-19 at 19:36, Raymond Lillard wrote:
>>I would like to install WBEL (respin) on an
>>ASUS P4C800-E mobo.
> I did that on a Dell Precision WorkStation with a Promise FastTrak S150
> tx2 equivalent to the PDC 20378 controller of our ASUS P4C800-E mobo. I
> have used a standard IDE drive during the installation and compiled the
> driver from :
> http://www.promise.com/support/download/download2_eng.asp?productId=107&category=All&os=100

Monsieur,

I gave the module you suggested a try without success.
I will list my steps so you can tell me if and/or where
I ran off the rails.

I downloaded:

http://www.promise.com/support/file/driver/1_fasttrak_s150_tx_partial_source_1.00.0.19.zip

which seems to be most recent release for Linux.

In "/usr/src", I created a symlink:  ln -s linux-2.4.21-15.EL  linux
creating a clean path to the sources tree of "/usr/src/linux".

In "/usr/src/linux", I executed:  make oldconfig
The Fasttrak readme file instructs a "make clean",
but surely that is in error and I did not do it.

Executing:  insmod ft3xx.o
yields:

root@ctifs1: insmod ft3xx.o
Warning: kernel-module version mismatch
	ft3xx.o was compiled for kernel version 2.4.21-15.ELcustom
	while this kernel is version 2.4.21-15.ELsmp
Warning: loading ft3xx.o will taint the kernel: non-GPL license -
Proprietary
   See http://www.tux.org/lkml/#export-tainted for information about
tainted modules
Warning: loading ft3xx.o will taint the kernel: forced load
ft3xx.o: init_module: No such device
Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters,
including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
       You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg

I hope I've made a mistake somewhere as that is more readily
fixable than a closed source driver.  Does anyone know of an
OpenSource driver?  I Googled hard for one but not been
successful.

Merci,
Ray