[WBEL-users] WBEL (respin) with 875P Mobo

Raymond Lillard rlillard@sonic.net
Tue, 20 Jul 2004 17:23:41 -0700

Pierre-Francois Honore wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-07-20 at 07:29, Raymond Lillard wrote:
>
>>Pierre-Francois Honore wrote:

>>>I did that on a Dell Precision WorkStation with a Promise FastTrak S150
>>>tx2 equivalent to the PDC 20378 controller of our ASUS P4C800-E mobo. I
>>>have used a standard IDE drive during the installation and compiled the
>>>driver from :
>>>http://www.promise.com/support/download/download2_eng.asp?productId=107&category=All&os=100
>>
>>Monsieur,
>>
>>I gave the module you suggested a try without success.
>>I will list my steps so you can tell me if and/or where
>>I ran off the rails.
>>
>>I downloaded:
>>
>>http://www.promise.com/support/file/driver/1_fasttrak_s150_tx_partial_source_1.00.0.19.zip
>

> I have downloaded the 1.00.0.15 version

Great!!  I'll try it when I get my even bigger problem fixed.

>>which seems to be most recent release for Linux.
>>

>>In "/usr/src", I created a symlink:  ln -s linux-2.4.21-15.EL  linux
>>creating a clean path to the sources tree of "/usr/src/linux".
>>

> I am using the last kernel version: kernel-smp-2.4.21-15.0.3.EL.i686.rpm
> and kernel-source-2.4.21-15.0.3.EL.i386.rpm.

OK.  I'll get that too.  Maybe it will fix my bigger problem.

>>In "/usr/src/linux", I executed:  make oldconfig
>>The Fasttrak readme file instructs a "make clean",
>>but surely that is in error and I did not do it.
>>

> Did you copy /boot/config-2.4.21-15.0.3.ELsmp as .config before make
> oldconfig.

Yes.

>>Executing:  insmod ft3xx.o
>>yields:
>>
>>root@ctifs1: insmod ft3xx.o
>>Warning: kernel-module version mismatch
>>	ft3xx.o was compiled for kernel version 2.4.21-15.ELcustom
>>	while this kernel is version 2.4.21-15.ELsmp
>

> To supress this warning you have to edit the Makefile inside the kernel
> tree and modify the line : 'EXTRAVERSION = .....custom' to
> 'EXTRAVERSION = .....smp'

Yes, I know.  I'll fix it when it matters.

>>Warning: loading ft3xx.o will taint the kernel: non-GPL license -
>>Proprietary
>>   See http://www.tux.org/lkml/#export-tainted for information about
>>tainted modules
>>Warning: loading ft3xx.o will taint the kernel: forced load
>>ft3xx.o: init_module: No such device
>>Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters,
>>including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
>>       You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg
>>

> After loading I have :
>
> # lsmod | grep ft3xx
> ft3xx                 213452   4
> scsi_mod              118696   6  [sg sr_mod ide-scsi ft3xx mptscsih
> sd_mod]
>
> # dmesg
> PROMISE FastTrak TX4000/376/378/S150 TX Series Linux Driver Version
> 1.00.0.15
> scsi2 : ft3xx
>   Vendor: Promise   Model: 1+0 Stripe/RAID0  Rev: 1.10
>   Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 02
>   Vendor: Promise   Model: 1+0 Stripe/RAID0  Rev: 1.10
>   Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 02
> Attached scsi disk sda at scsi2, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
> Attached scsi disk sdb at scsi2, channel 0, id 1, lun 0
> SCSI device sda: 488281088 512-byte hdwr sectors (250000 MB)
> Partition check:
>  sda: sda1 sda2 sda3
> SCSI device sdb: 488281088 512-byte hdwr sectors (250000 MB)
>  sdb: sdb1

My bigger problem:

It seems that it is absolutely not possible to boot an
ASUS P4C800-E with a WBEL stock kernel with the IDE
configured in the "Enhanced" mode.  In the "Compatible"
I lose access to my normal IDE devices when I enable
access to the SATA drives.  I have 2 HDs on my Primary
channel and 1 CDRW as master on the Secondary channel.

The BIOS menu tree requires one to choose either the
Primary or Secondary channel when the SATA channels
are enabled.  Access is denied to the unchosen one.
I must have access to all of my normal IDE devices
for this system, therefore if I am to use WBEL, and
that is my preference, I must find a way to run it
with the "Enhanced" mode selected.  That is what I am
working on now.  WBEL and the ASUS P4C800-E are a
difficult pairing.

In my case, I am placing the OS on the Pri-Master (hda).
I intend to do a nightly mirror of hda to the Sec-
Master (hdb) so in the event of a hda failure, a
ready to go drive is, ready.

I will put the Samba partition on the SATA drives.

My question for you:

Did you use the "Compatible" mode for your installation?

If you used the "Enhanced" mode, please share with
how you did it.

Thank for listening,
Ray