[WBEL-users] Re: OT: best IDS / Securesystem with / for WBEL

Ed ekg@tricity.wsu.edu
Wed, 21 Jul 2004 14:32:10 -0700

Jason Becker wrote:
> From: Stefan Sabolowitsch <Stefan.Sabolowitsch@feltengmbh.de>
> To: whitebox-users@beau.org
> Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 12:22:35 +0200
> Subject: [WBEL-users] OT: best IDS / Securesystem with / for WBEL
>
> Ask onto the experts : -) .
> How do I make my server(s) secure?

Don't install anything you don't use, especially servers.
Get rid of suid-root executables when possible.
Close ports you don't use with a firewall: iptables.
Install security patches:  yum.

But first you must know your threat model: who are you trying to protect
against?  Most of those IDS systems only tell you *after* you've been
broken into, and they can be defeated by a skilled adversary.  If you're
really fighting people like that, you might be better served by a system
like OpenBSD which will take you less time to "harden".  (On the other
hand, IDS are helpful to know that you *have* been broken into, so you
can respond.)

   Ed