[WBEL-users] Anybody using an encrypted file system on Whitebox?

Shawn M. Jones smj@littleprojects.org
Mon, 26 Jul 2004 18:12:53 -0400 (EDT)

> I've been searching for a way to encrypt a directory with some private
> files, and came across cfs.  The only problem is that the code looks like
> it hasn't been updated in three years.

I believe you want to look into the loop mounted encrypted filesystems.
The kernel supports various cryptography algorithms from DES up to AES.  I
prefer AES myself and have used it with SuSE (before I ditched SuSE for
other reasons, blech).  I'm not sure if RHEL comes with all of the patched
utilities (mount, losetup, etc.), because RH9 didn't.

A HOWTO from the Linux Documentation Project is here:
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Cryptoloop-HOWTO/

Also, keep in mind that there is a performance hit with encryption, but on
today's hardware with only a few users, I haven't noticed it.

Hope this helps,

--Shawn

--
-- Shawn M. Jones