[WBEL-users] Re: html email in whitebox list

Keith Morse kgmorse@mpcu.com
Thu, 29 Jul 2004 00:29:39 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004, jafar wrote:

> What email app are people using here?

Pine, which probably makes me an immoral, moronic, and quite possibly
illegitimate in the eyes of a Debian purist/fanatic.  Been using it so
long that the brain no longer need to think about keystrokes, they just
happen.

> I don't know about the rest, but I have my whitebox list messages
> delivered as a digetst and get a lot of the following..
>
> <DIV><FONT face=3DTahoma><FONT size=3D2><SPAN =
> class=3D193204109-28072004><FONT=20
> face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff>2) resolv.conf on the Linux server has the
> =
> following=20
> lines in it referring to the Win2K domain and the DNS server's IP=20
> address:</FONT></SPAN></FONT></FONT></DIV>
> <DIV><FONT face=3DTahoma><FONT size=3D2><SPAN=20
>
> And so on.....
> Would it be rude to ask that people post what are essentially text
> messages in plain text on this list?

Not in my book.  Email should be plain text and 7 bit ASCII at that.  I've
noticed on most Linux based lists that the majority of list members do use
"text only" mail readers.  Notable exceptions are people making their
first forays in the Linux and are using (shudder) Outlook or Outlook
Express or unfortunate persons that have no alternative but to use Web
based email readers.

> It's just that there is a lot of it, and it makes it very difficult to
> read and I might miss the opportunity to answer someone's question and
> contribute a little to the list by sharing knowledge.
> Don't take this as a flame or anything. It's just an observation and a
> little suggestion. :)

I concur with your opinion.  It is rather refreshing not to see a
proliferation of rabid foaming-at-the-mouth comments about HTML based email.

As whitebox Linux becomes more popular, and by extension, more people sign
up on this list, this too will probably change.

Oh, and by the way.  To the boys and girls at beau.org I'd like to send my
kudos for the bang-up work that is what Whitebox Enterprise Linux.  Hell
of a job, guys and gals, hell of a job.  As the Engineering Officer on the
submarine I used to be stationed on used to say, "Bravo Zulu".