[WBEL-users] Rate Limiting

Bill Davidsen davidsen@tmr.com
Thu, 29 Jul 2004 12:35:16 -0400

Mario Gamito wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Exactly the same problem here too.
> A mail server with about a month, and just 1 hour ago the server reached
> the point of not responding at all. Even on the console.
> I have to cold reboot it.
> The statistics shows nothing special at that time.
>
> What do you have ?
> I have qmail/vpopmail/spamassassin/qmail-scanner
>
> Warm Regards,
> Mário Gamito
>
> On Fri, 2004-07-09 at 16:19, Shackmaster wrote:
>
>>Looking for suggestions here...
>>
>>I have a mail server setup, that has been running on WBEL rock steady
>>for about a month now. The problem is that as use has grown, it has
>>begun to periodically spike and fill the T1 pipe that it sits on. We
>>plan to move the server onto an OC3 Sept 1st, but would like to rate
>>limit the traffic in the meantime.
>>
>>Does anyone have a suggestion? Ideally I would like to rate limit SMTP
>>(ports 25 & 3535) seperately from POP (110 & 995).

If the system is locking up, I think you have another problem. Even a
modest box should be able to handle all you can push into it on a T1 (or
100 Mbit, for that matter) without locking. Sendmail will drop into
"queue only" mode based on load average.

If you have diddled the config to up the limits on load, behaviour, or
number of connections, or gone to a non-default mail setup, then the
assumption is that you know what you're doing.

We run about 2M messages/day/blade, about 5Mbit average or so over a
day. Blades are little 2xXeon 1.4G.

--
    -bill davidsen (davidsen@tmr.com)