[WBEL-users] Re:Whitebox-users digest, Vol 1 #305 - 14 msgs

Bill Davidsen davidsen@tmr.com
Thu, 29 Jul 2004 12:37:39 -0400

Shackmaster wrote:
> William --
>
> Unfortunately these limits only work on the number of simultaneous
> connections, not on the bandwidth used.
>
> Unfortunately when Y! (or similar) gets it in their head that they want to
> pipeline their e-mail to our server, they fill our pipe, and render it
> useless to everyone else.
>
> What I need is a way to limit every TCP connect to only 10k a second, or
> something to that affect.
>
> Failing that, an overall bandwidth cap at the OS level would work.
>
> Failing that, we will buy a switch/router that supports rate limiting.
>
> I thought maybe someone on this list would know of a WBEL solution which
> allows granular bandwidth control.

There are dozens of QOS packages, each with multiple options. You don't
limit the incoming rate directly, you limit the outgoing ack rate, drop
window size, etc.

--
    -bill davidsen (davidsen@tmr.com)