[WBEL-users] RE: Corrupted WBEL Format

Ed Morrison emorrison@ncen.org
Thu, 29 Jul 2004 09:43:26 -0700

One important piece of information I forgot...Winblows will install and
run normally.....

Ed

-----Original Message-----
From: Ed Morrison [mailto:emorrison@ncen.org]
Sent: Thursday, July 29, 2004 9:40 AM
To: 'whitebox-users@beau.org'
Subject: Corrupted WBEL Format

Hi Everyone,

Seems as though I am on a role here.  I was trying to setup WBEL on a
workstation that already had Win XP and Fedora Core 1 on it.  I was
actually trying to replace the FC1 installation.  When I got to the Disk
Partitioning screen during setup, I told it to delete and format any
linux partitions.  It appeared to start ok then acted a little weird.
Unfortunately I have been fighting with this long enough that I can't
give exact details as to what happened.  Now it will not format or
initialize the drive. At boot up (with WBEL or FC1 setup disks), when it
tries to read hda it states that there are I/O errors in sectors 0, 2, 6
and 8.  Now when I get to the partitioning screen I get these errors:

1. The partition table on hda was unreadable and asks me if I want to
initialize the drive and loose all data on the drive.  I tell it yes and
then I'll get this error

2. Input/Output error on /dev/hda  retry , ignore, cancel.  The same
error occurs if I tell it to retry or if I tell it to ignore, this error
will come up

3. An error has occurred.  No valid devices were found on which to
create a file system

I have tried to boot to a knoppix cd, it will not boot into knoppix and
will give me this error

1.  ldm_validate_partition_table(): Disk Read failed

I also tried to use Partition Magic 5.  It will not boot into the
working screen and will give me a partition error message

Also used Partition Magic 4.  I can get to the working screen and create
partitions but this will not change the previous error messages when
trying to setup WBEL or FC1

I used fdisk to delete all partitions and create new ones but still the
same results and this includes fdisk /mbr.

Help! .......please!!!  :-)

Ed