[WBEL-users] PHP and Apache 2.0

Bill Davidsen davidsen@tmr.com
Thu, 29 Jul 2004 14:03:16 -0400

Edward Rudd wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-07-13 at 10:17, Andy wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>When surfing through PHP docs I came across a page describing problems
>>PHP is having with Apache 2.0. In summary, Apache 2.0 is threaded, PHP
>>is not thread safe. The page further elaborates on the compile-time
>>parameters that I'm not really familiar with. The page in question is
>>found here http://www.php.net/manual/en/install.apache2.php
>>

> This is FUD..  There are some issues with PHP not working nicely if you
> Apache 2 is build with threading, but the default mode on linux for
> apache 2 is preforking which is the same as Apache 1.3.

It's not at all FUD, it's an operational limitation which requires using
the old lower performance preforking mode. Obviously RH agreed that the
problem is real, or they wouldn't have defaulted to the old mode of
operation. PHP is not the only offender, of course, which is why the
threaded model is best saved for static content only unless you are a guru.

--
    -bill davidsen (davidsen@tmr.com)