[blacklist] Re: [WBEL-users] Network detect

Ed ekg@tricity.wsu.edu
Thu, 10 Jun 2004 16:53:17 -0700

whitebox@911networks.com wrote:
> That's the problem:
>
> The networking card is a build-in nVidia on the motherboard
>
> When I do a lsmod in Knoppix on don't see any networking module:
>
> root@0[root]# lsmod
> Module                  Size  Used by    Not tainted
> ext3                   64164   0  (autoclean)
> jbd                    46356   0  (autoclean) [ext3]
> autofs4                 8756   1  (autoclean)
> af_packet              13512   0  (autoclean)
> agpgart                42628   0  (unused)
> i810_audio             25112   0
> ac97_codec             11916   0  [i810_audio]
> soundcore               3428   2  [i810_audio]
> dl2k                   15524   0
> crc32                   2832   0  [dl2k]
> forcedeth               7916   1

^^^
#ifndef __FLAME_H
Yes, the bastards at NVidia believe that their run-of-the-mill ethernet
card contains valuable intellectual property.  So they released a
closed-source driver which had to be reverse-engineered and cloned
clean-room.

As the unhappy owner of an nforce motherboard, I have also been blessed
with a nforce ethernet card (which I got working with the forcedeth
driver) and an expensive sound card which does not work because they
won't tell any linux users (their *customers* for crying out loud) how
it works.  I am proud to say that I will never buy or recommend a part
made by that company ever again.
#endif

If forcedeth is in the kernel-unsupported package, you can probably use
that, otherwise you will need to compile your own kernel with the module
(it's pretty painless).

   Ed