FW: [blacklist] Re: [WBEL-users] Network detect

Nick Lunt nick@javacat.f2s.com
Fri, 11 Jun 2004 17:50:27 +0100

The forcedeth module is availabe for the 2.4 kernel with WBEL 3 from nvidias
website.
It comes with full installation instructions and the download package will
get your soundcard and NIC working. You need to have the source for your
kernel installed tho.

If you havent already goto nvidia.com - drivers - linux drivers.

Regards
Nick.

Accidentally sent the above direct to someone on the list. Sorry whoever
that was.

-----Original Message-----
From: whitebox-users-admin@beau.org
[mailto:whitebox-users-admin@beau.org]On Behalf Of Ed
Sent: 11 June 2004 00:53
To: syv
Cc: whitebox-users@beau.org
Subject: Re: [blacklist] Re: [WBEL-users] Network detect

whitebox@911networks.com wrote:
> That's the problem:
>
> The networking card is a build-in nVidia on the motherboard
>
> When I do a lsmod in Knoppix on don't see any networking module:
>
> root@0[root]# lsmod
> Module                  Size  Used by    Not tainted
> ext3                   64164   0  (autoclean)
> jbd                    46356   0  (autoclean) [ext3]
> autofs4                 8756   1  (autoclean)
> af_packet              13512   0  (autoclean)
> agpgart                42628   0  (unused)
> i810_audio             25112   0
> ac97_codec             11916   0  [i810_audio]
> soundcore               3428   2  [i810_audio]
> dl2k                   15524   0
> crc32                   2832   0  [dl2k]
> forcedeth               7916   1

^^^
#ifndef __FLAME_H
Yes, the bastards at NVidia believe that their run-of-the-mill ethernet
card contains valuable intellectual property.  So they released a
closed-source driver which had to be reverse-engineered and cloned
clean-room.

As the unhappy owner of an nforce motherboard, I have also been blessed
with a nforce ethernet card (which I got working with the forcedeth
driver) and an expensive sound card which does not work because they
won't tell any linux users (their *customers* for crying out loud) how
it works.  I am proud to say that I will never buy or recommend a part
made by that company ever again.
#endif

If forcedeth is in the kernel-unsupported package, you can probably use
that, otherwise you will need to compile your own kernel with the module
(it's pretty painless).

   Ed