[WBEL-users] Does dvd+rw-format -blank /dev/scd0 work in whitebox?

Neil Jolly neil@jollycom.ca
Sat, 12 Jun 2004 18:03:37 -0600

On Sat, 2004-06-12 at 12:26, Benjamin J. Weiss wrote:
> All,
>
> I've been struggling with getting mondoarchive backing up to dvd+rw on an
> RHL9 system.  If it works on WBEL, then I'll accelerate my migration
> plans.
>
> I can back up to the dvd+rw just fine.  however, when I try to burn to the
> dvd+rw a second time, I get an error that the dvd already has a file
> system.  So, I try to manually blank the dvd with:
>
> dvd+rw-format -blank /dev/scd0
>
> or
>
> dvd+rw-format -blank /dev/cdrom
>
> etc.  but I keep getting:
> [root@mail root]# dvd+rw-format -blank /dev/cdrom
> * DVD±RW format utility by <appro@fy.chalmers.se>, version 4.7.
> * 4.7GB DVD+RW media detected.
> - illegal command-line option for this media.
> - you have the option to re-run dvd+rw-format with:
>   -lead-out  to elicit lead-out relocation for better
>              DVD-ROM compatibility, data is not affected;
>   -force     to enforce new format (not recommended)
>              and wipe the data.
>
> doesn't matter if I do the -lead-out or not.  I've tried this on two
> seperate systems, one with a Lite-on dvd burner and one with an NEC
> ND-1300A.  both run RHL9.  I've also tried with dvd+rw-tools 5.19 and
> 5.12.
>
> Is this working for anybody under WBEL?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Ben

Try using the command:
/usr/bin/growisofs -use-the-force-luke=tty -quiet -R -J -Z
/directory/to/backup/filename

The -use-the-force-luke=tty is an undocumented option to the growisofs
command, that you can only find by reading the source code. This is the
only way to overwrite a dvd that already has a file system on it from a
script that I'm aware of.

--
Neil Jolly

(with Yoda-like voice)
"Confrontation leads to anger...  Anger leads to fear...  Fear leads
to using Windows NT in mission-critical combat systems...  And this is
how the ancients fell...