[WBEL-users] Very slow network

Shapiro, Mark mshapiro@Exchange.FULLERTON.EDU
Thu, 17 Jun 2004 12:27:10 -0700

I've had similar problems with one of my machines running WBEL.

Is there an easy way to turn of Kudzu?

Thanks....

Dr. Mark H. Shapiro
Professor of Physics, Emeritus
California State University, Fullerton
Phone: 714 278-3884
FAX: 714 278-5810
email: mshapiro@fullerton.edu
web: http://chaos.fullerton.edu/Shapiro.html
travel and family pictures:
http://community.webshots.com/user/mhshapiro

-----Original Message-----
From: whitebox-users-admin@beau.org
[mailto:whitebox-users-admin@beau.org] On Behalf Of Mickael Maddison
Sent: Thursday, June 17, 2004 12:06 PM
To: whitebox-users@beau.org
Subject: Re: [WBEL-users] Very slow network

Hello James,

A couple of years ago we had moved away from using any 3com 3c905x cards
in our RedHat machines as we've had many instances of this problem.
I've read that something about either replacing the 3com driver or
tweaking the settings to bypass the problem, but haven't tried it.  We
wanted the drivers to work 'out-of-the-box' and fortunately we have
Intel cards aplenty.

So if you need to use the 3com cards,

JK> Just installed WBEL on a test box (Athlon 850MHz, 1GB RAM).

JK> I had (bad) X problems with the Riva TNT2 card, but swapped it out
for
JK> an old ATI Rage 3D. Works now.

JK> It has a 3COM 905B NIC, but it's vvveeerrryyy ssslllooowww. scp is
JK> producting about 10kb/S over a 100MB cable to the hub to my
workstation
JK> (dual Athlon 2400). It appears that the data is coming in small
bursts.

JK> If I reboot using a Knoppix CD I get the expected multi-megabit/S
JK> transfer rate, so the hardware is fine.

JK> I've tried removing and re-adding eth0, with and without firewall
enabled.

JK> I've not seen this kind of problem before any ideas?

JK> thx!

Best regards,
 Mickael                            mailto:mike@kamloopsbc.com