[WBEL-users] Installing Whitebox Linux form hard drive

Kirby Bohling kbohling@birddog.com
Sat, 19 Jun 2004 19:35:26 -0500

On Sat, Jun 19, 2004 at 04:28:42PM -0500, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-06-19 at 15:51, Ron wrote:
>
> > All,
> >
> > I am new to Whitebox linux.  is there a way to install white box from the hard drive and not from a cd?
>
> Yes ... put all 3 iso files in a directory that is readable by linux and burn the /images/boot.iso file to CD.
>

> Boot from that CD and pick the option to install from hard drive.

I'm assuming he's got problems burning CD's.  You can also use
bootdisk.img to boot off of a floppy.  You can do a hard drive
install with that.  I believe you have to use "expert" on the
command line to get that as an option (I know that you have to for
NFS and HTTP installs, maybe harddrive is a non-expert option).

If you have two machines, you can do either an NFS or HTTP install
via a floppy (I think), or via PXE booting (I've done that
successfully, supposedly you can do it via a Windows NT/2K/XP
machine if you know what you are doing).

If your machine dhcp's it's network access you could probably do a
network install straight off the a public site if you felt crazy
enough.  It's both a security risk, and will take a long while
unless you have lots of bandwidth.

	Thanks,
		Kirby