[WBEL-users] Can Whitebox be configured to do this ?

Pete Stevens pete@ex-parrot.com
Mon, 21 Jun 2004 17:48:35 +0100 (BST)

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004, Denis Croombs wrote:

> I am thinking of putting a whitebox system with a Software VPN running on
> the server to provide Samba and email into a co-location center, does anyone
> do this ?
> The clients would be running Windows XP and Cisco VPN software from their
> laptops/home PC's to store valuable data and share a small amount of the
> data.
>
> If you have done anything like it please let me know.

I installed PopTop [pptp VPN client] as a server using Windows XP & 98 clients
on whitebox without any difficulty. I found the best setup was to have a
private IP range for the server & clients with all normal internet traffic
going the normal route for the clients, forwarding the whole connection
resulted in some strange oddities when attempting to talk to the public
address of the VPN server.

The other thing to watch out for is that many ADSL firewall/routers can only
handle one software VPN at a time - I've had problems with a D-link box that
would only allow one of the users to access the VPN.

Incidently, if you're looking for cheap co-location space in the UK
my company might be able to help, http://www.mythic-beasts.com/colo.html

Yours,

Pete Stevens

--
Pete Stevens
pete@ex-parrot.com

A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her.
                                                         -- W.C. Fields