[WBEL-users] is there a way to get up2date to install a SMP

William Hooper whooperhsd2@earthlink.net
Mon, 21 Jun 2004 14:03:19 -0400 (EDT)

Van Loggins said:
[snip]
>> You might also check what is installed by doing "rpm -q
>> kernel" and "rpm -q kernel-smp".  It seems to me that it should have
>> picked up that you have two processors and installed the correct kernel.
>>

>> --
>> William Hooper
>>

> That did the trick. Thanks!! I just upgraded this system to
> a dual processor system from a single and I thought the up2date tool would
> automatically pull down a SMP enabled kernel.

That explains it, then.  The logic of what kernel to install is done at install time by anaconda.  Up2date (and yum for that matter) just update what you have installed when doing updates.  Once you explicitly install the kernel-smp RPM you will get any newer versions down the road.

--
William Hooper