[WBEL-users] up2date failure

John Morris jmorris@beau.org
Tue, 22 Jun 2004 00:57:55 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004, Dean F Owensby wrote:

> i completed a  up2date -u && reboot, and now whenever i run up2date in
> gui it freezes, and in console barfs this up after about 5 minutes of
> sleeping:

No real ideas, especially with the five minute wait, but I'll offer up
this observation since it is a similar unexplained up2date failure and
might somehow be connected.

Earlier tonite I tried to use up2date to add a package and got a failure
trail that ended with a failure to find libxml2-python.  The machine had
just been up2dated with the Respin1 packages a day or so ago, and did that
upgrade without error through up2date.  Rpm confirms that libxml2-python
was NOT installed.  Looking at the .spec it appears that Fedora's new
up2date has grown an undocumented dependency.  On a default install
something else is pulling in libxml2-python, but not on a machine force
upgraded from RH7.3.

Just checked my FC2 install and it would be a bug there as well, making it
a Fedora/RH bug.  So bugzilla gets bug #126469 and if it nails anyone else
here I'll issue a WB only fix; since I grafted FC2's version into WBEL any
fixes to allow it to work with the RHEL codebase is inside the scope of
WB.

And looking at the long list of up2date bugs with the FC2 version and then
considering my own problems running up2date under FC2 and also having
tested updating WBEL a couple of times off the public mirror list I'm
about ready to recommend reverting to a manually edited sources file
listing a mirror known to have good connectivity to your location.

The automirror scheme sounds good but so far it doesn't seem to actually
be working very well for either FC or WBEL.  Maybe by the next rev.

--
John M.      http://www.beau.org/~jmorris        This post is 100% M$ Free!