[WBEL-users] Backups?

Vicki Reeves vickir@beau.org
Tue, 22 Jun 2004 11:29:41 -0500

James Knowles wrote:

>> Anybody tried firewire hard drives??
>>

> Yes. No-go. :-(

John may chime in with a correction or two... I'm the less than
technically ept member of the team.  We use firewire drives for our
backups.  I can plug one into my WBEL powered laptop and run this magic
incantation:

modprobe ohci1394
echo "scsi scan-new-devices" > /proc/scsi/scsi
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/firewire

and it does just like a firewire should.

I think John has been fighting a driver issue with a firewire harddrive
'cage' on his home network so you might look in that direction if you
are trying to hook up multiple drives.

This is me:
Vicki Reeves          vickir@beau.org        http://www.beau.org/~vickir

This is where I work:
Beauregard Parish Library                            http://www.beau.org
205 South Washington Ave, DeRidder, LA 70634           (337)463-6217 x19
  The Library does not necessarily agree with everything I write :-D

Geek code 3.1:GIT d? s-:++ a? C++ L++$ W++ w-- Y+ b+ G e r+++

                              <><