[WBEL-users] Downloading ISO 2

Jeff Lasman blists@nobaloney.net
Tue, 22 Jun 2004 09:40:53 -0700

On Tuesday 22 June 2004 09:07 am, James Knowles wrote:

> It'd be nice if the e-list set Reply-To to itself.

I agree.  Especially when "You're supposed to reply to the group".

> My two bits.

Mine as well.

> (Please don't point me to Chip Rosenthal's "'Reply-To' Munginging
> Considered Harmful." It's logical garbage wrapped in condescending
> language.)

<semi-rant>
Years ago, when bandwidth was so expensive that you wanted to keep list
traffic down it might have made sense to carry on all correspondence
offlist and then post one summary to the list.

Today all it does is create lots of back-channel help that never gets
posted to the list to be helpful to others.

We ran many lists for many years, and we found most list-owners
preferred onlist conversation as long as it's ontopic; most of our
list-owners preferred "Reply-to-list".
</semi-rant>

We are using linux desktops, right <smile>?

If so, try KMail; you can "Reply-to-list" on any message, and even write
directly to the list semi-automagically as well.

And search through thousands of messages so quickly you'll never get a
hot cup of coffee again <smile, one more time>.

Jeff
--
Jeff Lasman, nobaloney.net, P. O. Box 52672, Riverside, CA  92517 US
Professional Internet Services & Support / Consulting / Colocation