[WBEL-users] Kernel Upgrade to 2.6 series

James Knowles jamesk@ifm-services.com
Wed, 23 Jun 2004 02:20:26 -0600

>upgrade ... to kernel 2.6 series?

My unwashed two cents worth... don't. ;-)

It's probably not necessary, and likely to cause more grief than needed.
Quite a few of the 2.6 kernel performance features have been backported
to the RHEL/WBEL 2.4 kernel.

There are some noticable differences. Under heavy IDE disk load, I
notice the unresponsiveness typical to the 2.4 kernel, but it's *not*
nearly as bad as a raw 2.4 kernel. I'll be doing more testing over the
next couple of days, but overall I'm pretty impressed about the
improvements.

I've read here that at least one person is having luck with Firewire
drives (I'll be testing myself in the next two days). Firewire is
horribly broken according to my 2.6 kernel tests.

I'm copying my workstation over to this brand new box with a fresh
install of WBEL. So far so good. I'll really hammer the sucker
tomorrow... oh... later today; it's 2am.

If you must have the 2.6 kernel, I'd recommend downloading Fedora Core
2. Yes, it's bleeding edge and you'll likely cut yourself, but that's
the difference between RHEL/WBEL and FC2... stability and polish. I've
been on WBEL "for real" less than an hour and I can see many
differences. I would call moving from FC2 to WBEL a positive step up at
this point.