[WBEL-users] Considering White Box - Related Questions

Clint Harshaw clint@penguinsolutions.org
Wed, 23 Jun 2004 10:07:23 -0400

Hello all:

I'm new to the list, and have been a RH desktop-oriented user, and
currently a Fedora Core 1 user (FC2 is on a laptop that gets used
infrequently). My workload is about to increase significantly, as is the
size of my family :-), and I'm concerned that I won't have the time
needed to stay on top of things with future versions of FC. I'm in the
market for a flavor of Linux that I'm comfortable with and offers
stability and updates for approximately 3 to 4 years.

I have a couple of questions that I'd like to ask the group to head off
any potential conflicts that I may get when doing a fresh installation
of  WBEL on two desktops.

NVidia Cards: I have a "routine" that I have to do anytime I upgrade the
kernel with FC1, and it looks like this ...

CC="gcc32" sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5336-pkg1.run --add-this-kernel
CC="gcc32" sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5336-pkg1-custom.run

... is this the proper routine for WBEL or is there an alternate method
that I should do?

Extras: I've installed via yum quite a few extras, such as tuxpaint,
frozen bubble, gkrellm*, ogle*, kaffeine, player. Are you all getting
these extras on WBEL via a particular repository using yum? (With FC
there are a handful of repo's that everybody seems to use for extras,
such as fedora.us and livna.org)

Java and Flash: I'm a nut about checking the NOAA.gov weather animations
and my family needs the Flash plug-in for Mozilla for things like Sesame
Street and Playhouse Disney. The instructions I always used were those
found at:
http://www.fedorafaq.org/fc1/#Java
http://www.fedorafaq.org/fc1/#Flash

Will the same instructions work with WBEL?

Lastly (and perhaps most importantly), I understand that WBEL is
server-oriented. Would it be a good choice for me as a long-term (3-4
years) desktop for home desktop use, and at the office, where I
regularly use MySQL/PHP for my own small database work, some Perl, and a
lot of LaTeX? or would I be better served by maintaining my FC1 machines
by moving to fedoralegacy for updates?

Thanks very much for listening and offering your opinions,
Clint