[WBEL-users] Tools to cut big files ?

Vicki Reeves vickir@beau.org
Wed, 23 Jun 2004 12:00:09 -0500

Jean LEE wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does anybody knows a tool which is able to cut big files.
>
> I would like to cut a 3 Gbytes file in 4 or 5 parts (each of 700 Mb) in
> order to be able to burn it.
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Jean

Have you considered the old unix standby 'split'?  Type man split to see
if it works for what you want to do.  I've used it from time to time.
You can specify file size.  Unless you give it other instruction, it
will name the new files something like xaa, xab, xac....

This is me:
Vicki Reeves          vickir@beau.org        http://www.beau.org/~vickir

This is where I work:
Beauregard Parish Library                            http://www.beau.org
205 South Washington Ave, DeRidder, LA 70634           (337)463-6217 x19
  The Library does not necessarily agree with everything I write :-D

Geek code 3.1:GIT d? s-:++ a? C++ L++$ W++ w-- Y+ b+ G e r+++

                              <><