Firewire under WB3.0 (*was* Re: [WBEL-users] Backups?)

John Morris jmorris@beau.org
Wed, 23 Jun 2004 22:47:20 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004, Kirby Bohling wrote:

> 	Any clues what I need to do to get it working on WBEL3.0?  I've
> go the modules loading on boot, but it fails to add the drive to
> /proc/partitions.  It doesn't auto add and remove the drives like it
> does under RH9.  It also appears to have plenty of errors in dmesg
> of this variety:

Generally it is the same as for RH9 except you need to do

echo "scsi scan-new-devices" >  /proc/scsi/scsi

once sbp2 detects the drives to trigger the scsi subsystem to rescan the
bus.

I have played with the scripts but so far am still just manually doing the
echo command manually because I have yet to find a working config that
will 'just work'.  It is all very touchy, a hot unplug is a BAD idea and
if you don't get the modules loaded in exactly the right order it won't
work at all until you remove all of them and try again.

It seems the right order is ieee1394, then ohci1394 and finally sbp2.  I
do:

modprobe ieee1394
modprobe ohci1394

Modprobe autoloads sbp2

Do dmesg and make sure everything looks right.  i.e. a drive is detected
by sbp2.

Then I do the echo bit and a new scsi drive appears in /proc/scsi/scsi.

> ieee1394: sbp2: aborting sbp2 command
> Read (10) 00 06 02 4e 07 00 00 f8 00

Don't think I ever got that sort of error.

--
John M.      http://www.beau.org/~jmorris        This post is 100% M$ Free!