[WBEL-users] mozilla segfaults after yum updat

Thu, 24 Jun 2004 18:34:15 -0500

--=-B9V62oXcVJ6/aTnEUGLp

On Thu, 2004-06-24 at 11:02, William Hooper wrote:

> Mathieu LUBRANO said:
> > Hi all,
> >

> > I've been investigating on this segfaults...
> >

> > The problem only occurs when I use a 2.4.26 kernel (compiled on the wb
> > box).  I need to recompile to add 3c515 NIC support. The kernel compilation
> > goes fine (same config as others RHEL boxes here), the wbox reboots, but
> > any process calling clone() (fork ?) go segfault.
>
> If I had to guess I would say this has to do with the stock kernel not having NPTL.

I agree with William ... you can not use a stock 2.4 kernel with
whitebox (or any RedHat product with NPTL), without either adding the
NPTL patch to the kernel, or compiling your own GLIBC from scratch as
well...

You could use a 2.6 kernel...

My question is ... why use a non-WBEL kernel at all?  I would think that
if you needed a newer kernel, it would be much better to use a newer
distro (Like Fedora Core).  Most distros have patched the other core
packages (like binutils or glibc)  in such a way that the standard
kernel package does not work correctly without certain patches installed
(The exceptions that I know of being Slackware and Gentoo).

Just my $0.02

- Johnny Hughes

--=-B9V62oXcVJ6/aTnEUGLp

<HTML>